a slice of chocolate caKE with everything on it

because life's like chocolate cake: it's only either very sweet or bittersweet

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Thesising = Headache

I've been online for a few hours now, searching the net for possible related literature and models to support our thesis topic. And my vision's getting a bit blurry and my mind is starting to get clouded and I am seriously beginning to grow dizzy. This is the effect that hardcore economics has on me. And because of these negative effects, I have concluded that a career as an economist in its truest sense is quite far down on my options list. Not when its side effects seem to be the symptoms of high fever or high-blood pressure.

Don't get me wrong. I love econ. I've grown to love it over the years. There was even a time when I really liked an econ elective I was taking that I really did advance-reading for it and really studied and took notes and all. That too was the time that I flunked that certain econ elective's midterm exam. Man, did that hurt. So you see, I love Econ but it doesn't love me as much. Hahaha, typical. But yeah, I still love it.

I guess my attachment to econ doesn't come from the study of the law of supply and demand alone...it's eveything that comes with it. The people, the place, the org...people I've shared lots of experiences with, the place that I've considered home, and an institution I've grown to love: somewhere I belong. Ooohhhhh, sentiness.

Thesis is actually cool. You may not believe me but it is. It's like testing if you really learned something in your 4 years of studying. I always thought I didn't know a thing about econ even if I took all the required subjects and electives. The first time I reserached for related lit in the lib, I was so surprised that I could actually understand the economic journal I was reading, I actually laughed! I knew something after all, hihihi. It all comes back to you when you need it. Come to think of it, why would someone be casually pondering about the process of doing a multiple-variable OLS regression on a normal day while riding the MRT to school? It would be extremely mental.

I like thesising. I, surprisingly, like spending the day inside the econ lib, reading economic journals and books, jotting down important points on my thesis notebook, searching for other books on the OPAC, etc. I know, it sounds nerdox. And I admit it is. But the point is, I like doing it. And what the heck, it's about time that I seriously learned something about econ. I AM GRADUATING in 4 month's time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home