a slice of chocolate caKE with everything on it

because life's like chocolate cake: it's only either very sweet or bittersweet

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Satisfying Cravings (plus a trip down memory lane...): Merienda at Hizon's

Finally had my long-standing Hizon's craving satisfied. Gio and I went to Hizon's for late merienda. After ten years (+/-), I have once again tasted their famous ensaymada espesyal paired with their hot native tsokolate. The result: A very happy KE!!! Hahaha! :D I was surprised with the size of the ensaymada though. I remember it to be fuller and higher and smaller in diameter. The one they brought out was flatter and wider. The tsokolate I remember being in a bigger mug; now it's in a smaller tasa. Nevertheless, I was not disappointed. Both tasted just as I remembered them way, way back, which I find amazing! Nothing about the taste changed, even if the presentation was somehow altered. The ensaymada still had that distinct creaminess, coupled with the perfect fluff, with just the right combination of sugar and grated cheese to top it off. The tsokolate is as native as it can get, with bits of what I'm guessing to be tablea still present in the rich concoction. What I like about this drink is its unique texture -- there's this kind of grainy feeling as the liquid flows from the cup, which, for me, contributes to its charm and authenticity. Other people who like their chocolate milk chocolatey sweet might have issues about this drink, but for a dark chocolate lover like me, it's A-OK.

Revisiting Hizon's brings back fond childhood memories -- of trips with my kababatas mostly. The first time I've eaten there was with them kase, when Bianca had to have her teeth cleaned by her dentist whose clinic was in Manila (and then it immediately got dirty, due to the dark tsokolate we drank not even 30 minutes after, hehehe). And it makes me miss them a lot as well (we're now scattered all over the globe you see). Those good, old days... that I know will remain exactly as they are wherever each of us may be; like the hot chocolate and ensaymada we shared before. (senti, but true)

* By the way, I'm within my calorie count even with the sot tsokolate and ensaymada. Hehehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home